obsolete eponyms



What if I were to call my new podcast an "Electroplay" instead of a "Podcast?"

Does that sound outmoded?

Q: do you listen to podcasts on . . .  an iPod?    The term "podcast" is tied to an outmoded technology.    Calling it a "podcast" is as accurate as calling it a "Victrolacast."

--

OK, I just googled "electroplay."    Might have to rethink this one.

--


My friend Joel mentions that a group of songs sold together is still called an "album."    And a solid state storage module is still called a "drive."    And the front panel of the passenger compartment of a car is still called a "dashboard."

What's interesting to me is that people pointed out the oddness of calling a collections of songs on CD an "album," because "album" referred to a 12-inch vinyl disk, whereas, of course, "album" actually referred to a book that you keep pictures in.

Comments

Popular Posts