your perfume


Last year, I played pit for "She Loves Me," a cute Jerry Bock musical. It occurred to me that he has a distinct style, changing tonal centers often, sometimes every measure, but never in a disorienting way. He just steers the melody expertly into new territory and then builds a whole house around it each time. 

So I set out to try it: could I write a melody that could be a back number for "She Loves Me" or "Fiddler on the Roof?" I had a fun time putting it together. I was pretty pleased with the result, too. No lyrics. Just a melody. I named it "Your Perfume," because the show was still on my mind. 

Sometime later, the lyric "First I fell in love with your perfume; then I fell in love with your smile" came to me. Zow! That's like one of those minor hits from the 30s by one of Ellington's writers. Terrific opening line. I did nothing with it for several months.

Then, just a few days ago, I said, "it's time," and I sat down and knocked out these lyrics.  A friend had just announced that, after years of despair, he had found love. That provided a story for my bridge — something to give depth to the song's rather fluffy opening. 

It was such a blast tweaking and perfecting each syllable and line, really making it one of those effortless standards. 

Then, just now, I set up and threw out a one-take version, just to get it out there. Also, I tried out a new mic technique, with some truly creamy and delicious mics I've had for several years but rarely put to much use. Man, they pick up all those flesh tones so nicely! 

Here it is, folks: a new song for ya. Hope you enjoy it.

Comments

Popular Posts