those baby name books

We're staying with some friends who have a newborn baby. In the guestroom/office, they have a whole shelf of books like "Pregnancy for Dummies" and "The Name Book." I picked up that last one, which is a list of names and their variants, meanings, origins, and, of course, the Bible verse associated with each name. Fine when it comes to Jesse or Nephtali, but what about, say, Daphne? How about Galatea? Its "Inherent Meaning" is Pure, while its "Spiritual Connotation" is Courageous. Not sure how that works out. But its Bible verse is Psalm 84:4, "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?"

I'd hoped for Psalm 139:14, "For I am fearfully and wonderfully made."

But that got me to thinking that names are in fact ingenious. Just the fact that there are names, that we have names for things. Have you ever thought about how weird it is that there is a word that is connected to you, that you respond to? What an extremely odd thing. Not that there's a viable alternative. It's just weird.

Comments

Popular Posts