a san antonio so what

A few weeks ago, the Protagonists played a concert for a series called "Jazz at the Witte." The Witte Museum, that is: a cultural institute with beautiful shady grounds.

We had with us trombonist Ron Wilkins and saxophonist Rob Hart, two of the best blowers around. The result was a 3-hour jazz party that left everyone hot and happy.

At one point, I figured it was time for a groovy Latin number, so I started grooving, then realized I was in D-minor, so I mouthed "So What" to the guys, and 8 bars later we were playing a distinctly San Antonian take on Miles Davis's most famous tune.

Take a listen. I set up 2 good microphones in front of the crew, and linked them straight to a stereo DAT. The band sounds great. You can hear the birds chirping in the trees, and you can hear the laughter when Ron begins his solo with a note-for-note quote of Miles's original trumpet solo.

Comments

Popular Posts