there once was a reader in texas


br> I always thought Edward Lear cheated by essentially recapping the final line — not really writing a fifth line at all:
A very old lady from Stockton
Kept acting like she was from Brockton.
She ate almond chews
And cried in her shoes,
That desperate old lady from Stockton.
I mean, come on. The whole point of a limerick is to punch you with the surprise of the last line. It's especially great when you hear the setup and wonder how they're going to arrive at the punch. A favorite:
A student from dear old Bryn Mawr
Committed a dreadful faux pas:
She loosened a stay
On her décolleté
Thus exposing her je ne sais quoi.
Excellent!

As for Lear, I understand that he was trying to write *anti*limericks (at least arguably). The nerd-cool comic strip Bloom County often did this too, putting the punchline in the penultimate position, and then a deflating comment, to great comic effect.

Still, in Lear's case, it ends up sounding lazy to my ears.

Here: I'll do my own. How's this, Lear fans?
There was an old man from Peru
Who simply did not like Peru.
He hated Peru
Though he lived in Peru,
That bumptious old man from Peru.

Comments

Popular Posts