theme from "wings"

I mentioned that I'd been commissioned by Texas Public Radio to do an arrangement of the Love Theme from Wings, the 1927 silent film that won the first Oscar.

For the arrangement, I decided not to simply play it straight, nor to give it the full Brake treatment, but rather to gesture toward the pianistic style of the Twenties, while at the same time giving it some personal flourishes, including an opening flutter that comes from my own original score to the film, also commissioned by TPR back in 2003. The mongrel result was rather pleasing to me, and will be, I hope, to the audience. It's already been broadcast several times on Texas Public Radio's classical station. It's included in a special package they have that ties in to the movie, including interviews with film historian Frank Thompson.

Take a listen.

Comments

Popular Posts