trust, explicit and otherwise

I just saw one character on a TV show tell another character "I trust her absolutely."

I'm so glad. Perhaps 2012 will be the year that people trust each other completely, absolutely, perfectly, imperfectly, anything other than implicitly.

I have no idea when the phrase got started. I remember being very irritated by it in the mid-1980s, when the chick Captain Kirk was romancing said she trusted Kirk implicitly.

OK. Picture a little girl walking over to the living room. There's a step down. Right as she reaches that step, she simply holds out her hand, never changing her posture or her forward gaze. She knows her Daddy is near, and that he will take her hand, and that she'll be able to get where she needs to go when he takes it. That is implicit trust. It's implied because it's not stated. It's just there in her.

When people say, "I trust you implicitly," they generally mean "I trust you completely." They, of course, can't mean that their trust is implicit, because if it were they wouldn't make it explicit.

So. I was glad to hear that character (and that character's writer) get it right. Good things are happening. Fresh winds are blowing.

Comments

PM said…
I agree, wholeheartedly! I found this post because the phrase irritates me so much.

Popular Posts