new shamu show, and free barry

Just got through doing the arrangements on a brand-new Shamu show for Sea World, and am getting started with the charts, to be recorded later this month.

It's their Halloween show, so you have to wait till October to see it. Meanwhile, it'll do to say I've really enjoyed putting it together. They had very definite ideas about what they wanted, but also gave me an alarming amount of latitude. They had songs they definitely wanted to include, songs they really wanted to include, songs they sort-of wanted to include, songs they felt they should include — but at the end of the day it was pretty much up to me to choose which ones to use and where they should go. (I omitted a tune that one of the producers loved, asterisked, and was pushing for; I've heard not one peep.)

On one whole segment of the show, I had near-complete artistic freedom, including the freedom to include some original music I composed just for this.

I'm celebrating a brief moment in my career where I have amazing amounts of artistic freedom. In several projects and gigs, I'm being hired by people who trust me to do what I do best. That's satisfying.



Comments

Popular Posts