churches, churches, everywhere

Tonight I go to Alamo Heights Christian Church to lead worship for Grace Anglican Fellowship, a brand new congregation that's meeting there temporarily on Sunday evenings. It'll be my first time as their official music and worship leader: I work together with the ministers, choose the music, write up whatever charts are necessary, eventually rehearse the singers and guitarists and whatnot, and lead music in the service. I'm engaged with them till mid-January of next year; perhaps after that too. It's a spirit-filled congregation with tons of warm-hearted folks. I'm looking forward to the next few months with them.

Today I also announce to the musicians I've been working with on Sunday mornings, St Margaret's, that I've accepted a position with Holy Trinity Anglican, a brand new congregation that's meeting over in the medical center area. On November 7th I'll start as their official Sunday morning music and worship leader, with roughly the same duties as above. It's a spirit-filled congregation with tons of warm-hearted folks. These two churches, which are praying for each other, have some shared DNA but also have developed distinct identities, each with its own character.

So, for those counting, that's two newly-formed Anglican churches, two full services to plan every Sunday, two potentially wonderful spiritual experiences, morning and evening, one taking me as I say farewell to St Margaret's Episcopal, the church that took me as I said farewell to Christ (Episcopal) Church in the Hill Country, which was a plant from Christ Episcopal in SA, where I played on Sunday mornings for a few years in the early 2000s — and from which the two Anglican churches have split.

Meanwhile, next Sunday, I'm playing at a Jazz Mass at St Thomas Episcopal, where the Jazz Protagonists are Artists in Residence.

Think that's enough Episcopalians for a former Baptist Sunday school teacher and deacon?

Comments

Popular Posts