love me forever

Every year I write a new song for Catherine. Each year it's something different: a bossa, a ballad, a traditional Chinese flute melody. This year, she woke up and found a new song on her computer, entitled "Love Me Forever."

I've always enjoyed electronica, especially deep house, and the formal openness that it allows and even demands. It's interesting to compose it and see why it does what it does, why the cliches of the genre are there. In this case, the insistent beat provides a grid for the flowering melodies and riffs that overlay each other in shifting patterns, and the voice provides a much-needed human dimension against the electronic backdrop. Meanwhile, the urgent tone of deep house suits the material well, giving it an emotional propulsion that I'm very pleased with.

So, here it is, my love: a digital flower. Happy birthday.

Comments

Popular Posts