china dispatch #16 - fashion show

I mentioned earlier that I'd wanted to get some suits made. I went to one tailor and eventually got what I wanted, but only after protracted haggling. It was obvious this person wasn't part of the best tradition. On reflection, I do notice that the tailor's shop is in a place that caters to quite a number of people who won't be in Beijing for too long. Meanwhile, the one I just got some work back from is located in the heart of the diplomatic district, and has incentive to get repeat customers. That might make all the difference.

Whatever the difference is, I can't chalk it up to my cranky old man theory. The gal in charge was young and female, and quite pleasant, and she did as well as any cranky old man in creating some custom suits for a very picky customer. So, now I have some gorgeous suits to wear for all those snazzy Olympic-related gigs coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Having nothing better to do, and realizing that most of you haven't seen me at all in a while, I figured I'd put on a little fashion show. Everything you see is brand-gosh-durn new. Those hangings in the background are some of the batiks that Cathryn and Nicholas gave us.

And, I went ahead and put on my new glasses. I've always worn contacts, but Catherine has awakened me to the conveniences of having glasses. So I got some made here, and I must say I like 'em. Still hardly wear them, but they come in handy at times.

Take a look.

Comments

Popular Posts