change and blondness

It's occurred to me that some of you haven't seen me recently.

You'll occasionally hear someone say that although change can be good, change for its own sake isn't. I tend to think, though, that unless a change is actively bad (New Coke, for instance), change itself is an excellent thing. God reveals himself as the God of Change. He makes all things new, he transforms an old covenant into a new one, an old self into a new creature, and, eventually, a weary earth into a New Jerusalem.

I was reflecting on all these things in reading an article in the new Communiqué Journal. The author says, arrestingly, that "Change can be prophetic, for prophecy anticipates change," and concludes that "Innovation is a daring act of hope." When we embrace the new, we are stretching our muscles for the day when we embrace the New.

It wasn't long after reading that article that I got into a couple of conversations, one with Christine Hill and one with Nathan Mustain, friends who had had many hair colors, in which I was encouraged to bleach my hair completely. So I did.

Behold the new:



The picture was taken the other day by Henry Chan, for the Baylor newspaper the Lariat, at the social event that's now known as Dr Pepper Hour. The Lariat being what it is, the photo is, according to the caption, of some fellow named "Blake," who is not one but many "Alumni."

Some things never change.

Comments

Popular Posts