requests part 2

To add to the growing list of strange interactions with people at gigs:

I'm just through with the head of Ellington's "Take the A Train" and entering the solo section when a guy comes up and asks, "Are you the one playing piano?"

"Yes," I answer, with a Gene Kelly smile.

"Can you play 'Charlie Brown?' "

"Sure thing."

A brief minute later, before the Ellington song was over, he comes up and says something I don't understand, but that sounds like "the one that goes like this." Then he starts tunelessly humming something with his hand cupped over his mouth like an M.C.

I ask him (while still playing), "Wait, what?"

He comes right up behind me and says, "Well, stop playing." I indicate that I wouldn't but I'd listen to what he was humming. He cups his hand over his mouth again and does that little bounce that people do, and this time I recognize what he's trying to hum.

It's "Charlie Brown."

He says, "I meant the 'Charlie Brown' that goes like that."

Comments

Popular Posts