what kind of a name is diebenkorn

Several years ago now, over a decade ago, I'd read an article that involved the modern artist Richard Diebenkorn. (I guess it was around the time of his death.) For some reason, the name struck me funny that day, so my way of honoring the dead was to say to myself, "Diebenkorn?!?! Diebenkorn?!?! Hmh!"

I remember telling that story to a dear friend and possibly the only person besides Eric Lewis who'd understand, Frances Reed. By that time I had said that to myself over a period of days, just randomly, apropos of nothing. I'd be sitting there minding my own business, and think, "DIEBENKORN?!"

Frances told me quite a while later that she was in class taking a test, and suddenly found herself staring into space thinking, "Diebenkorn?" She said her teacher looked at her funny.

And that's the purpose of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts