hot chocolate

Man, I've been feeling terrible lately. Just physically tired, bad cough, bad attitude. But I do at least have hot chocolate. How can anyone not like this drink? It's hot, it's chocolate, what's not to like? You put a little coffee in, or you put some cinnamon and vanilla in, or you put some bailey's (or, in my case, heather cream, which I like better than bailey's) in, or you just drink it straight.

Here's the mix recipe I inherited from my mom, and tweaked to perfection on my own. It's quite simply the best hot chocolate you'll ever have: very choclaty, but not too thick or syrupy.

You take a makes-8-gallons-size of powdered milk, a regular size nesquick, 8 ounces of powdered cream (HEB makes the best kind, better than cremora), and then about 2 ounces of powdered sugar. Stick them all together, and blend away. Then just add some to boiling water whenever you like.

But here's the key: There's no such thing as a 6 ounce serving. Seriously, when's the last time you used one of those dainty tea-party cups for hot chocolate? No. You use a nice big mug. 11 ounces by my calculation. You put about half a cup of the mix into a nice big mug with no office humor on it, then you add the boiling water.

To make it simply perfect, add a slim slim teaspoon of instant coffee to it. Addictive.

What I'd love to do, though, is make the perfect Mexican hot chocolate recipe with that, but I simply can't find one thing: cinnamon extract. Liquid cinnamon extract to put with the vanilla. Regular cinnamon doesn't quite cut it, because it never blends with the chocolate. It just floats on top. I guess that's OK, but it isn't perfect, like that Abuelita stuff you can get, which is delicious but a bit of a hassle. So. Ideas, anyone?

Comments

Popular Posts