new year's snapshots

What a way to end a year and begin a new one. Two things:

Greta and I were playing outside at our friends' ranch, having climbed trees, pretended we were on a ship, examined an ant-bed at length from afar, played with doodlebugs, balanced on logs, and generally explored the place. I was sitting down, and she said she wanted to sit on my lap. I crossed my legs and then she plopped down right in there, with her head just tucked under my chin. She said, "This is perfect." I said, "Yes, it is."

At tonight's gig, we were playing "The Nearness of You," a song that's all about not needing any of the typical trappings of love and romance, because you simply want the presence of the other person. I noticed something odd on the dance floor. It looked like someone was having some sort of emergency but I couldn't figure out what, and then one split second later my brain resolved it: a man was pulling his wife out of her wheelchair to dance with him. Her entire left side was paralyzed, so he was holding her up as they slow-danced to the entire song.

What a great way to end a year and begin a new one.

Comments

Popular Posts