can't smile without you

"Can't Smile Without You" came out when I was a little kid. I can still remember the glowing sense of uplift it had. So singalongable.

I also distinctly remember the claps that came in on the last chorus. I assumed at the time that it was a live audience, but it's definitely done in the studio, albeit with way more people than the usual studio claps. That's, what, at least 60 or 70? (The Beatles usually used 2 or 3 clappers.) More songs need clappers.

The thing I remember is that the claps were off time. I thought "Man, big crowds really can't clap in time very well, can they?" Of course, since it was done in-studio, either [a] it was intentional or [b] the producers and engineers [b1] didn't notice or [b2] didn't mind.

Actually, at this point I don't mind either. Really nice arrangement. And what an odd bridge:
v7 - v7 - I13 - IVM7 - iv6(#7) - iv6(#7) - V13
I don't think there's another pop song that has that chord structure as a bridge. Totally works though, and all those key changes, often in the middle of a chorus. Great pop art there.

Comments

Popular Posts