loquats, kumquats, and markets

It's loquat season in our part of San Antonio. These peachy-peary orange-yellow fruits are busting out all over, and I've been thinking about them.

First, a word on kumquats and loquats. For some reason, we all get confused between them, perhaps because of of the -quat. That's like getting confused between a jogger and a booger. Man, those suffixes get you every time! A kumquat is a citrus fruit. If you open it to find that it's in sections and tastes like citrus, you've got a kumquat, whereas if it has more peachlike flesh and big beautiful deep-brown seeds, then it's a loquat.

Several houses in our neighborhood have them. We've availed ourselves quite a bit in the last few days, comparing the various flavors (Neighbor A's are tart; Neighbor B's are juicier and sweeter). All this has gotten me wondering why on earth we don't see them in stores. They're only in neighbors' yards. In fact, I can't think of another common fruit that you can't get in the average supermarket; maybe it's available at some supermarket somewhere, but I've never seen it happen. Who knows why this is so. But I must say that beyond the sheer sensual pleasure of biting into one and tasting the sweet-tart flavor I so associate with my childhood, when Bart Morgan and I used to eat them by the dozen on the walk home from school, there's the poetic joy I find in the fact that such a pleasure is completely uncommodified. You can't buy them; you can't sell them; you can only find them and enjoy them. That's an important experience.

Comments

jess meider said…
Thank you Barry for this - I never had either -quat fruit til I lived in China. And I love them both. I had no idea that they existed in Texas. How wonderful to know. In China, the loquat is called PI-PA fruit. It comes from Sichuan province (or the most famous tasting ones do). They are great for the throat (and the tummy!) and are used in the cantonese natural remedy (used for everything from sore throats to hangovers) called "Pi-Pa Gao" (Gao-is a thicker version of a syrup, the same gao as in "Ya-gao" for toothpaste)
barrybrake said…
Yep - I think they were brought in from China by the numerous immigrants (who also left their mark on what we now call barbecue sauce).

Cantonese — aha, that's why it's "-quat," right? Mandarin would never have syllable that ends in t.

I miss making music with you!!! Let's do something soon.

Popular Posts