new miller book

I'm doing some editing on the next issue of Communique Journal. There's one essay in particular, a book excerpt by Donald Miller, that expresses really well something I've often thought. Here's a sneak peek at the Easter edition:


It strikes me, even as I type this, how distant our formulaic methodology is from the artful narrative of Scripture. It makes you wonder whether we can even get to the truth. It makes you wonder if all our time spent making lists would be better spent painting or writing or singing or learning to speak stories. Sometimes I feel as though the church has a kind of pity for Scripture, always having to come behind it and explain everything, put everything into actionable steps, acronyms, and hidden secrets.

My life is a story. I feel this blood slipping through my veins and these chemicals in my brain telling me I am hungry or lonely, sad or angry, in love or despondent. And I don't feel that a list could ever explain the complexity of all this beauty, all this sun and moon, this smell of coming rain, the beautiful mysteries of women, the truck-like complexity of men. It seems nearly heresy to explain the gospel of Jesus, this message an infinitely complex God has delivered to an infinitely complex humanity, in bullet points.

Comments

Popular Posts