a meta-dream

I had an unusual dream last night, one that is, I believe, the first of its kind for me. A meta-dream.

I was flying somewhere, cross-country perhaps, and the flight had to have a layover on Mars. I got out and went over to a small observatory station while there, and experienced the dizzy feeling of being on another planet. What a feeling! And, of course, even though I didn't get to stay there long, it was fun to be able to tell people I'd been.

Then there was a little interlude in which a friend and I were helping a guy who was a Sasquatch get a job. He was all dressed up in suit and tie, and, it turns out, very angry with us for lying to him about the world, for leading him to believe he could be treated normally, while the fact is that he was a Sasquatch. He chased us through the Baylor University campus. I took refuge in an empty ice-cream building in the middle of campus.

Much later on, I was telling someone about the fun thing of having gone to Mars on a layover, and they didn't believe me. I told my brother Paul about it, and he said, "You had a layover on Mars? How long was your flight? A year? It takes six months to get to Mars."

I was stunned. I realized that I hadn't been at all. I'd only dreamed of going to Mars, and the dream was so vivid that I'd mistaken it for reality.

A dream in which I'd been fooled into thinking a dream was reality. Now I've got to go back and watch The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie again.

Comments

Popular Posts