cool song: the jesus gift

Ever hear of the song "The Jesus Gift" by Gilbert Martin? It was driven into our head with a railroad spike every Christmas at my church, but very few others have heard it. I've never heard it out shopping.

Which is a shame, because it's a great song, with a catchy uplift to the melody. The Jazz Protagonists play it every Christmas whenever we get the chance. It sets very well to jazz, getting that warm Christmassy feeling that only a jazz combo can get. What if Vince Guaraldi had never discovered the perfect marriage of Christmas and jazz?

Here's a recording of us playing it at a recent jazz party, in Mp3 or RealAudio.

Comments

Unknown said…
I first heard this song performed by a choir at a church in Wichita about 35 years ago. I've loved it ever since. It is surprising to me that no well-known artist has included it on an album. There's not even a good recording of it (at least not one I like) on You-Tube. I had not heard a jazz rendition of the song until I stumbled across your mp3 file... 13 years after you posted it. Being a jazz lover myself, I enjoyed your group's version of it very much and just wanted you to know that. Well-done!!

Vickie
St Louis, MO

Popular Posts